We’ve told you about our favorite songs about trucking, the best trucking movies, and our favorite trucking paraphernalia. But what about books? It turns out there are several amazing books about trucking, from fiction to nonfiction, to glossy spreads featuring beautiful trucks on display. We know that truckers love to learn more about their industry and the men and women within it; and delving into books is great entertainment, especially during those nights spent on the road. Here are several of our favorite books about trucking:
- The Long Haul: American Trucking Companies. This 2008 novel pulls from trucking history and starts at the beginning. It describes how trucking companies got their start and how they grew their empires.
- In The Driver’s Seat: Interstate Trucking – A Journey. This is a firsthand account about trucking from someone who lives it everyday. Marc Mayfield, a long-haul truck driver, uses anecdotes and real-world tips to describe the life of a trucker.
- Bumper-to-Bumper: The Complete Guide to Tractor-Trailer Operations. This book is famous for its candid look into the life of a trucker. Its no-nonsense descriptions never demean the industry, but treat it with the respect it deserves. This book is great for drivers behind the wheel on a day-to-day basis.
- The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger. How can a rectangular box make such a huge impact on global politics and the economy? Author Marc Levinson gives a fascinating account of how container shipping grew into a huge industry and how its adoption required huge sums of money from both private investors and ports.
- Truck Driver Tom. This one is for the kiddos! It’s all about Tom, who drives a big rig across country and sees lots of different-sized trucks and beautiful scenery.
- Truck Drivers: The Dietician’s Guide to Smart Eating and Healthy Living for Truckers. This book acknowledges the pitfalls of having a sedentary job in the driver’s seat and discusses smart solutions to choose better food at restaurants and how to get energized without pills and caffeine.
- Mother Trucker. This incredible story is about a middle-aged couple who quit their lucrative white-collar jobs to become long-haul truckers. The couple’s refreshing take on team truck driving will leave you laughing out loud and rooting for the couple.
- Spirit of the Road. This is the touching story about a man who embarks on a year-long journey with his cat to become a long-haul trucker. You follow Rick Huffman from CDL school to life on-the- road, and enjoy every twist and turn along with the narrator.
Which books about trucking have you read? Please let us know in the comments!