Cardinal is committed to protecting the environment. Cardinal works hard to improve its fleet’s environmental performance which produces greater returns for customers while reducing the impact on the environment.
EPA SmartWay® Transport Partnership
Cardinal is a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SmartWay Transport Partner. The SmartWay Transport Partnership is a collaboration between the EPA and the freight industry which aims to improve energy efficiency, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality all while saving money for the customer.
What Green Means to Cardinal
Cardinal’s initiatives to operate safely for the environment add value to our customers’ supply chains through:
- Fleet Advancements – operating new, lower emissions equipment and reducing fuel consumption
- Fleet Modifications – governed speed, installed Auxiliary Power Units, implemented automatic idle shutdown and other modifications to increase MPG
- Alternative Fuels – testing renewable fuels and reducing emissions
- Driver Education – training our team on proper maintenance and driving habits, and offering incentives for high MPG rates
- Dynamic Routing – Cardinal’s proprietary technologies help lower the fleet’s emissions by reducing miles, enhancing backhaul support and monitoring for efficient performance.
Cardinal is committed to serving the recycling industry by providing dedicated contract carriage to recycling and waste management companies including North America’s largest recycler. With almost a million tons of product transported each year, recyclable waste has become one of Cardinal’s fastest growing verticals.